Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Lady Bugs

"Lady Bug, Lady Bug, Fly Away Home" - the opening lines of a children's rhyme. One of the first things I learned as a child in my Mother's garden was that Lady Bugs were good bugs. They ate aphids which were bad bugs. I would put my little fingers next to the leaf the Lady Bug was crawling on so she would crawl over to my hand. Then I could get her close to my eyes and watch her until she eventually flew off.
Several years ago it seemed we were overrun by Lady Bugs. There were thousands of them everywhere even inside our homes. But somehow in those years since my childhood, the Lady Bugs had become biters. What was going on?
What was going on was that those bugs were no ladies. They were/are Asian Lady Beetles. As the outdoor temps cool, they begin looking for a warm place to spend the winter. According to one website, Beetle flights are heaviest on warm, sunny days following a period of cooler weather. That is what happened here yesterday. It was as though we were under attack. I haven't found any inside the house yet, though I'm sure I will.
Interestingly enough, this same website says the beetle is becoming a concern to the wine industry. "Due to their noxious odor, even small numbers of beetles inadvertently processed along with grapes can taint the flavor of wine." NOW I have a real reason to be disturbed!

1 comment:

  1. I had one ride on me into the house the other day. I gave it a ride back out, tho. haha

    ReplyDelete