Search This Blog

Friday, July 31, 2026

July Books, Rocks and Sunflowers

This has to be a first - only three books read in the month of July and I did not go to the library at all this month!

What I did do was re-read Charles Frazier's thirteen moons, a book from my own book shelf. 

Under A Desert Sky by DiAnn Mills is one I borrowed from our club house book shelves and which will go back there. It was the first time I had been in the club house since it was remodeled. It is really much nicer.

The Wheeling Year is a book of Ted Kooser's sent to me by our friend Becky. It is a monthly journal of his thoughts and activities for an entire year. In the preface he writes that in his field book he included sketches and landscape studies which were not included in this printed copy. It reminded me of my daughter Kari's journals, how she included artwork along with her writings.

I shared three of Mr. Kooser's entries in my blog titled The Wheeling Year on July 22.

Earlier this month I read about all the sunflower fields in Iowa, two of which are in Union County, one at Three Mile Lake and one at Twelve Mile Lake. Since they are so close, we set off yesterday morning to see them. First stop, 12 Mile Lake. We drove up the west side to the boat ramp but found no sunflower field.


What we did find was an old dirt road with lots of rocks. We haven't been rock hunting since 2022. Bud's three on the left, my four on the right. It felt good to be picking rocks again.

As we didn't see any sunflower field at 12 Mile, we decided to look for one at 3 Mile. Again, no luck seeing any sunflower field(s) there. On the way back toward Creston I suggested looking on the east side of 12 Mile Lake. Once again, I thought "no luck here either" but as we turned around to go back, suddenly, "I see the sunflowers!"


I also realized why I didn't spot them at first - their heads were drooping with the weight of the seeds. With only a bit of yellow showing they weren't the bright yellow field we were looking for. Still, we did find this one and get to see one of the purported sunflower fields in Union County. And it was a nice morning for a little jaunt out into the countryside.

Tomorrow, another new month, one with a number of family birthdays and the addition of a new great-grandchild. I can hardly wait! 💚

No comments:

Post a Comment