My niece Lorrie, pictured here with me in the backyard of her home in Arizona in 2010, was married to her husband Kevin on New Year's Eve, 1994.
Of course we were invited to the wedding which was in Kansas but we decided not to go - why I don't remember now. It might have been worries about the weather. I think the forecast was for snow. Or maybe the distance had something to do with it.
But Mom went with her son Ron and wife, Ruth - Lorrie's parents. I recall seeing some of the wedding photos one of them a very good picture of Mom in her grandmother of the bride outfit.
I also remember buying a Mikasa vase at Younkers in Valley West Mall as a wedding gift.
It may not have been this exact design, but it was one of modern design and heavy lead crystal.
Mostly I remember helping Mom choose a new outfit to wear to the wedding. I brought her to Des Moines to shop for it. As a young woman who had lived through the great depression, she had always been careful about her spending - a trait which passed on to me. There was a consignment shop I liked to go to on Ingersoll Avenue which is where we went.
The style at the time was longer skirt lengths which I loved. Mom wasn't a big fan of shin length dresses, preferring them just below the knees, but I convinced her that longer was the current fashion. And when I found a two-piece soft pink in 'like new' condition, I got her to try it on - and then buy it - $16.00 if my memory is right.
In my opinion, my mother looked beautiful in this ensemble. This is a photo I took in her living room of her wearing it.
When she died in December, 2003, there was a different dress picked for her to be buried in but it didn't work out.
So this is what I chose instead. It has bothered me some over the years to know she would have chosen something else.
But she looked so pretty in pink. 💗
No comments:
Post a Comment