Search This Blog

Saturday, August 24, 2024

Saturday's Song

Some days there are different tunes playing in my mind. Other days there is only one and I can't get it out of my head. Sometimes that makes me crazy because I'm not particularly fond of the song. But today it is okay because I love what's playing in my mind - the song I have always called Lara's Theme from the 1965 movie Doctor Zhivago.

I also think of the song as Somewhere My Love, which are the first three words of the song. So which is correct? Lara's Theme is the leitmotif of the movie. And yes, I had to look that up. "A leitmotif is a recurrent theme throughout a musical or literary composition, associated with a particular person, idea, or situation." Variations of the Lara's Theme music occur throughout the three hour movie. 

        

Maurice Jarre composed the leitmotif which became the basis of the song Somewhere My Love. The most popular version was recorded by the Ray Conniff Singers.

My memory isn't what it used to be, and I no longer have my vinyl albums, but I believe this is one I had.


And I'm certain I had this one - the original sound track of the movie which includes:

Side One: "Overture from Doctor Zhivago; Main Title from Doctor Zhivago; Lara Leaves Yuri; At the Student Cafe; Komarovsky and Lara's Redezvous; Revolution."

Side Two: "Lara's Theme; The Funeral; Sventyski's Waltz; Yuri Escapes; "Tonya Arrives at Varykino; Yuri Writes A Poem For Lara." 




I won't say that I remember all those tracks, but some of them do bring back memories from the movie.  I saw it at the old Holiday Theater on SW 9th Street in Des Moines and was completely  enthralled. I could have sat through all three hours but there was a break half way. It was the first time I had been to a movie that had an intermission. 

Somewhere My Love

Somewhere my love there will be songs to sing
Although the snow covers the hope of Spring
Somewhere a hill blossoms in green and gold
And there are dreams, all that your heart can hold

Someday we'll meet again, my love
Someday whenever the Spring breaks through

You'll come to me, out of the long-ago
Warm as the wind, soft as the kiss of snow
Lara, my own, think of me now and then
Godspeed, my love, till you are mine again

Warm as the wind, soft as the kiss of snow

Godspeed, my love, till you are mine again

I wonder if my memories would hold up if I could see the movie once again. I'm almost certain I would find it just as captivating and romantic as the first time. ♫And there are dreams, all that your heart can hold....♫ 

No comments:

Post a Comment