Search This Blog

Thursday, July 18, 2024

What Is It About Brioche?

I limit my trips to Walmart, keeping a running list until there are things on it that I need and I have to go. And when I do, I almost always check the sale racks of baked goods. I don't always buy something, but I look. This week I came home with Sour Cream Donuts, Lemon Sliced Loaf Cake, a small bag of three Macadamia Nut cookies and a loaf of Vanilla Brioche. I guess my sweet tooth was acting up. 


I debated about the brioche. It looked so good - "Oh why not?"

And vanilla brioche? Well that almost melts in your mouth when you say it, doesn't it?

It has been quite awhile since I last bought any brioche. I forget that it really doesn't taste like I think it will. I'm probably  attaching a romantic French connotation to the word and imagining, in my mind, sitting in the sun outside a Parisian café drinking café au lait and eating brioche.





This morning I tried toasting a slice. It was some better. Brioche has "high egg and butter content which gives it a rich and tender crumb".

Next time I'll buy the Croissants. I know I like them, especially filled with chicken salad.

Hm-m, my son-in-law bakes a lot of different kinds of bread. I wonder if he's ever made brioche?


2 comments:

  1. Ken here, the Challah I make is very brioche like, as well as the potato dough rolls, but I haven't made brioche in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken - I was thinking I had seen a photo of one of your breads that made me think of the brioche - it must have been the Challah. I admire your bread making* so much. It is the sourdough though that I covet. (*I admire all your cooking/baking skills.)

      Delete