Search This Blog

Sunday, July 7, 2024

Another Irish Great-grandfather

One of the best things about the ancestry website I use (Family Search) is the connections it will make for the user once your own family tree is started. Often you will receive new information which happened again for me this morning.

When I saw the name of my 5X great-grandfather, Alexander Lowry, and that he was born in Ireland, I assumed it was going to be on my father's side of the family through the Lynam's. Surprise! It was on my mother's side and through the Mean's. 

It goes like this beginning with my Grandmother Delphia Means Ridnour: Delphia Means father, George Robert Means - his father Oscar Isaac Means to his mother, Sarah A. Evans to her mother, Frances Lowry who was the daughter of Alexander Lowry, my 5X great-grandfather - born in 1723 in Derry, County Donegal, Ireland; died in 1805 in Donegal Twp, Lancaster, PA. He immigrated to Pennsylvania in 1729 where, in 1752, he married Mary Waters. 

Colonel Alexander Lowrey (last name spelled both ways) commanded a battalion of Pennsylvania Militia during the Revolutionary War. He was in the Battles of Germantown and Brandywine. He was a delegate to Carpenter's Hall in Philadelphia where the resolution in favor of independence was passed.

He, along with his father, uncle and brothers, were Indian traders in Pennsylvania and the Ohio River Valley.  He died near Marietta, PA in 1805. 

I do see that I can follow Alexander's parents, James Lazarus Lowry, Jr. and Elizabeth Etta Campbell much further back, especially on the Campbell side, but I will save that for another day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment