Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 25, 2023

My Imperfectly Perfect Memory

 

One of the ads that is being shown before allowing me to solve one of my daily crosswords is from the Arkansas Tourism Bureau of the Flatiron Building in Eureka Springs.

When I saw it I had a flashback to 1975 and the first time the kids and I went to Eureka Springs. This town in the Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas is one of the most enchanting ones I've ever visited - a must see if you've never been; a delight every time I've been there. But a first experience always seems to stand out, doesn't it?

I recall that parking was limited. We parked up that hill around the corner. Our exploring began in the first store we came to, a jewelry store. I was always on the look out for birthstones. I remember looking at the yellow topazes. The one I liked was several hundred dollars, while others were much less. I was told because it was citrine not quartz. I didn't know there was a difference. Now when I google citrine vs quartz I read that citrine is the less expensive of the two. Strange.


We worked our way into the downtown area and there on our left, in the Flatiron Building was a pottery shop. I couldn't afford a birthstone ring, but I knew I could find a piece of pottery as a souvenir. 


And I did - this perfect three inch tall, three inch circumference, plain gray, handleless mug. 

While I was being encouraged to pick something more colorful, this is the one that appealed to me. When I held it in my hand it just felt right. And the color was definitely more to my liking. I'm a simple woman with simple tastes.


I might even use the term plain Jane when referring to my glass, which would be perfectly descriptive as the name of the potter was Jane and the year was preserved in case I ever needed a reminder.

The small imprint reads: "The Spring Street Pottery, Eureka Springs, Ar", just in case I would ever forget. 

So why is my post titled "My Imperfectly Perfect Memory"?



Because when I searched for more info, I saw that the Flatiron Building wasn't even there in 1975, as this plaque explains.

It wasn't rebuilt for the third time until 1987. So how could I remember it as being there in 1975? Possibly because I had seen the building during later trips to Eureka Springs.


This online image from the 1950's showing the vacant space where the Flatiron once stood and would again stand has to be the way it looked on that corner in 1975. 

But I do remember coming down that side of the street and going into the pottery shop. So it must have been in the building with the Onyx Cave sign - or maybe down below in the basement of that building?



Whatever. I know what my memories are - imperfect as they may be. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment