Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2022

More Than I Hoped For

We went out to Green Valley State Park/Lake to walk Wednesday morning. I had a specific hope in mind - to see some butterflies.


My first picture was of this young buck Whitetail deer. He was so far away that I didn't even see the antlers until I had the pictures on the computer. I was very pleased with this composition.



Next was the bright purple of Giant Ironweed caught in a beam of sunlight.







And the lovely lavender of the thistles.




I waited patiently for a Red-headed Woodpecker to alight at the top of a dead tree.

The rich ruby of their heads delights me.



Bud spotted this Big Blue Heron out on the lake and pointed it out to me. It was well hidden by the dead limbs until I got at a good angle to see it.

On the other side of the road on the way to the lake was a small pond with three blue herons and a white egret in the shallow water. I especially wanted a photo of the egret since we don't see them often but when we stopped they all flew off. 




We walked a little farther and there it was - a Monarch butterfly on some Swamp Milkweed.

Perfect! Just what I was hoping for.




More thistles with a white Bindweed, or Wild Morning Glory depending upon your viewpoint, with a bit of Goldenrod thrown in.





A much larger patch of Goldenrod with just few thistles.




I'm not having any luck identifying this weed but I like its tiny white flowers.

The sunlight made them especially noticable.





My favorite sighting of the morning was this one of Hubby Dearest.

More than forty years ago, he first grabbed my attention then my interest, followed quickly by desire and love.

Just watching him walking toward me still causes my pulse to quicken.



The morning's walk was all, and more, than I hoped for.  



No comments:

Post a Comment