Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2022

Summertime = Ice Cream Time

 

The daily puzzle I chose this morning was this one featuring ice cream. I would choose the one on the right in a cone, please. As soon as I saw it my mind said: "Butter Brickle, butter brickle, butter brickle." It was my favorite flavor back in the day.

That strawberry would be a close second for me.


Also back in the day, Saturdays meant getting the chores done early in order to 'get-around' and get to town early to get a good parking spot on Main Street. (Actually Davis Avenue, but always known as Main Street.) Saturday night in small town Iowa was a big deal. Everyone was in town to do their weekly shopping of course, but it was also a social event, catching up with people and getting the latest news.

For my little sister and me it meant going with Mom to Silsby's grocery store. The carts didn't have child seats back then so each of us hung on to a side and trailed along with mom through the store. I loved it when she stopped before the ice cream freezer. What flavors would we get this week? I always opted for Butter Brickle or Strawberry, but it was usually Vanilla and one other flavor. 

And the brand I remember was Sealtest. I think a half gallon carton was around 99¢. Meadowgold and Lady Borden's were two other brands I remember but Sealtest was the one we mostly bought.  It is said that Butter Brickle ice cream originated in Omaha at the Blackstone Hotel. It is/was a buttery sweet vanilla with tiny pieces of golden brown toffee. Mmm. 



Butter Brickle ice cream in its original form is no longer available around here. There are flavors which include toffee in some or another.

My current favorite brand of ice cream is Churn. It is creamy and easy to scoop. 

My favorite flavor is Coffee Toffee Crunch. I never had much of a 'sweet tooth' when I was younger, but it seems like I have one now. And ice cream is still my favorite sweet treat.



My mind obviously was already on ice cream when this photo popped up on Facebook a little while ago.

This little cutie with his bowlful of ice cream and cookies is Oakley. He becomes another great-grandson for me three months from today when my grandson marries his mother.

I've already gotten him to call me grandma. And we have at least one thing in common ---- ice cream!!



No comments:

Post a Comment