Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Bleak, Bitter, Frigid, Frosty

Eight degrees below zero this morning. We are in the grip (about which I gripe) of a cold snap. It began Thursday and is forecast to last into next week. Today is the first day in several that we haven't had snow - yet. It is also the first day we've seen the sun for awhile, which helps some. I had been doing pretty well dealing with almost a year of self-isolating, but the intense cold pushed me over into some depressed feelings. The last time I went out for groceries was January 29th. On the 3rd of Feb, I did the curbside pickup of books at the Library. Other than those trips I have only been outside briefly - to the mailbox and on the deck taking some pictures. These were all taken looking through the window.

Except this one, which I stuck my head out the door for a little after seven this morning. It looks pretty bleak doesn't it? I should have saved the Rossetti Bleak Midwinter poem for today.




Bitter





Frigid






Frosty




Snow on snow on snow






As I said, the sunshine today helps alot, as do these lovely roses HD brought home yesterday. Bonus: These actually smell like roses. I'm enveloped in their fragrance when I walk into the room. 

Positive news helps, too. A phone call to my brother to find him feeling better after his year of two heart surgeries, a stroke and covid.

And from my daughter with an update on her interview for a very interesting new job. 





As cold as it is here, I don't even want to know how cold it is in Minnesota where these two great-grands live. This photo of Maverick and Lily was taken January 25 when the cold weather was tolerable. Seeing photos of the little ones also helps keep my spirits up.

The Arctic freeze has taken hold at their home,too, so this weekend their mom challenged the family to create an indoor golf course. Dad set to work and spent the whole day making  miniature putt-putt holes upstairs and down. 

They hauled out all the cardboard boxes they were saving to recycle. This windmill actually works. I don't know how Evan did that. They shared bunches of photos of everyone having fun. Seeing the ways my granddaughter and her husband are raising their children gives me hope for the future and so much pleasure. 

Life is only a series of days, even during a long cold spell in February. I know this ennui will pass. It will warm up, spring will arrive. We will get our covid vaccinations. The snow upon snow upon snow will melt. The bleak midwinter days will pass. Until they do, I have two massive novels to read - the first 1014 pages, the second, 909. It will be the end of the month before I get those read. And then it will be March....and April....and May...... 😎

 


No comments:

Post a Comment