Search This Blog

Friday, December 18, 2020

Impossible Coconut Custard Pie

Earlier this month when I posted about the secret Apple Cream Pie, I mentioned looking through all Mom's pie recipes and keeping out two that I would be making.

One of which was the recipe for Impossible Coconut Custard Pie which I made yesterday. I compared Mom's handwritten recipe to one with the same name that I found online and used parts of both. The online version called for less sugar than Mom's recipe and I'm glad I did use less because even so, the pie is very sweet. 

Online recipe: 1/2 C Bisquick; 3/4 C Sugar; 4 Eggs; 2 C Milk; 1 C Flaked Coconut; 1 tsp Vanilla; 1 Tbsp Softened Butter.

Combine all ingredients, pour into a 9" buttered pie pan. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes until custard sets. Like magic, it layers nto crust, custard and coconut topping.

The 'crust' of my pie was almost nonexistent, but that didn't diminish my eating pleasure. I love both coconut and custard, so this is a win-win recipe for me.

Mom's recipe: 3 Eggs;1/4 C Butter; 1/2 C Flour; 1/2 tsp Baking Powder; 1 C Sugar; 1/4 tsp Salt; 1 tsp Vanilla; 2 C Milk; 1 C Coconut. Put all ingredients in blender. Blend until mixed and smooth. Pour into a buttered pie place. Bake 1 hour at 350°.

Next time I will get out my blender and try Mom's recipe - though I'll probably reduce the amount of sugar.

I've mentioned many times what an excellent cook/baker my mother was. I suppose one of the reasons I like custard as well as I do is because we had plenty of eggs and milk/cream on the farm. Custard was something she could whip up for dessert. It was also something easy to eat if we were ill.

And of course I loved eating my custard out of those dainty little custard cups. 

No comments:

Post a Comment