Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Read In December 2019

Ten books read this month for a total of 106 for the year.


The Secret Life Of Cows by Rosamund Young was sent to me by daughter Kari. She knows that pictures of cows and calves have become my new favorite happy place when the real world gets to be too much.
Reading this little book reminded me so much of my Mom and how wise she was when it came to understanding her cows.

Tender At The Bone was the second book of Ruth Reichl's also sent to me by Kari. This one covered Ms. Reichl's early life including how and why she became a foodie.

The Dark Angel, The Chalk Pit and The Stone Circle are Elly Griffiths' most recent Ruth Galloway mysteries. I was able to get them through interlibrary loan. Now I am caught up with my favorite forensic archaeologist and have to wait until a new book comes out.

Death in Focus by Anne Perry introduces us to her new mystery series set in pre-WWII and featuring Elena Standish. Perry is a favorite author. I believe I am really going to like this new character.

Dragonfly  is the first book I've read by Leila Meacham. It is about five young Americans chosen and trained to be agents in America's OSS intelligence service and then dropped behind enemy lines. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres and WWII is one of my favorite topics. I've added Meacham's other books to my reading list.



Cat's Eye one of Margaret Atwood's earlier novels is about a controversial painter who returns to Toronto, the city of her youth. This book is considered to be Atwood's most autobiographical. The depths of her storytelling and the beauty of her prose make this my favorite read for December.

A Cruel Deception is #11 in the Bess Crawford mystery series by the mother-son writing team Charles Todd. Usually these books are among my favorites, but this one seemed long on descriptions and short on plot/action.

A Bitter Feast by Deborah Crombie is #18 in the Duncan Kincaid/Jemma James series and the first in six years! A long wait if you like these characters as much as I do, but worth it to read another finely crafted mystery. I just hope it won't be another six years until the next one.

"These pictures of her, like everything else, are drenched in time." (Margaret Atwood - 'Cat's Eye')


And another quote from Cat's Eye because parts of the book were about her relationship with her brother and this passage speaks of some of my recent thoughts about my own big brother:

"I wonder what it was like for him, having a little sister tagging along. For me he was a given: there was never a time he didn't exist. But I was not a given, for him. Once he was singular, and I was an intrusion. I wonder if he resented me when I was born. Maybe he thought I was a pain in the bum; there's no doubt he thought this sometimes. Considering everything and on the whole though, he made the best of me."


No comments:

Post a Comment