Search This Blog

Saturday, June 29, 2019

Wrapping Up June

I don't know that I remember a month that has gone any faster than this one. Perhaps because we've been busier than usual - painting the deck, planting flowers, weeding and that mid-month weekend trip to Eastern Iowa for a wedding. So before the month is over, here are our last three stops on the way home two weeks ago.

On the west edge of Albia, there is an impressive display of flags. If you pull into the parking lot, this replica of the Iwo Jima US Marine Corps Memorial is front and center. On the wall behind: "Welcome Home Soldier".

Somewhat reminiscent of the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, D.C., is a long black granite wall inscribed with the names from all branches of service, living or dead. Called The Wall of Honor: "Donate $150.00 to have "your" veteran's name on to the wall for eternity."

Those flags seen in the corner of the 'wall' photo are the fifty state flags in their own area to the northwest side of the Welcome Home Soldier Monument.

Humble Hero Hill is the name where all the U.S. flags are flying. For a $1000.00 donation, you can honor a veteran with a flagpole in their name.

The monument is still in process, with plans for more additions. This billboard at the head of the trail gives an overview of what's already done and the future plans. It is an impressive and beautiful site to take in if you are traveling along US Hwy 34.

On a hill on the west edge of Chariton is the Lucas County Historical Society Museum, the centerpiece of which is the A.J. Stephens house. The complex consists of seven buildings on three acres. I had read ahead of time that it wouldn't be open the day we were there but that visitors were welcome to tour the grounds and admire the flowers.



Which I certainly did.

Lavender



 Roses





And this little one that I'm still working on identifying. Anyone know what it is?



It started to rain while we were touring the grounds, so we didn't stay as long as we might have otherwise. We just missed Art at the Museum by a week. It is something I know I would have liked. Maybe I can plan for it next year. In the meantime - Windmill! The good old-fashioned kind that dotted the countryside long before wind energy and massive turbines became an Iowa standard.

The Pioneer Log Cabin with a glimpse of the red 'Showalter' barn behind it.

Perhaps my favorite building - the Puckerbrush School - because it reminds me of our own one-room country school and the memories I have of Jasper #2. Why didn't we have a more interesting name for our school? Maybe Poplar Grove for all the silver poplars around it? (Note: Even though I always refer to it as Jasper #2, the sign where it once stood labels it as Humbert School.)

A final picture of "The Pump From The Derby School" with the south side of the Stephens house in the background, and then back on the road toward home.

Across the highway from the Murray Cemetery is the Murray Roadside Park. It has been there many years - I remember stopping there with my children when they were young. After years of neglect, it has been redevloped. Bud had noticed some plaques from the highway and wanted to see what they were.

One was about the Tallgrass Prairie.

And the many wildflowers therein.








The park has several picnic tables, a play area, bathrooms and a covered picnic shelter. Limited free camping is also available.

Clarke County's Freedom Rock is across the highway, near the cemetery entrance. I would think people stopping to view the Freedom Rock might also visit the park. Both would make a welcome break during a long drive.

Because the wedding was the reason for our weekend trip to Eastern Iowa, here is a photo of the bride and groom and her family.

This one of Ayden could be titled "Welcome to the Wedding!"

I mentioned the number of photos I took in May (400), so far in June I've taken almost 500 - and read more books than in May. Bud figured out for me how to post my photos to Instagram, since I use a camera and not a phone or some other mobile device, so I have been posting some pictures there. I'm trying to be judicious about it - so far. Ha!

My photos are mostly of birds, flowers, sunrises, sunsets, clouds, wildlife and scenery. Someday, someone is going to wonder why I took so many pictures. It is something I have always enjoyed and digital makes it so easy with little or no expense. Double win.

No comments:

Post a Comment