Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Kalona Creamery & American Gothic House

Two more of the stops on our way home from North Liberty/Coralville: The Kalona Creamery. I remember going here years ago after touring the Amish town of Kalona. One of the grandkids was with me - maybe Zach? We watched the cheese makers at work and bought ice cream for sure!

Bud had only a single dip chocolate cone topped with a chocolate cow. I ordered a double dip which was so HUGE I was in danger of losing the top dip as I tried to eat it. I went back for a dish to put the top part in while I ate the bottom dip. Too much ice cream. But it was SO GOOD!

Several Amish buggies went by but I only managed a photo of this horse. Yes, I know the Amish do not like having their pictures taken.

Bud wanted his picture taken with one of the milk cows. Ha. Ha.

Our next stop was in Eldon where, with the help of one of the visitor center's staff, we did our best to recreate Grant Wood's 'American Gothic' painting. She told me not to smile or be touching. "He's not your husband and you're not happy about posing for the picture."

I was a bit surprised that they had costumes available to wear, but I was really surprised that there was no charge for them. This was a fun stop.

I discovered it is just as much fun to play dress up now as it was sixty-five years ago wearing Mom's black hat and posing with my little sister and our cousins.

Oh, yeah, I did buy some cheese at the Kalona Creamery. Those cheese curds didn't last long. Lucky for me Bud doesn't like squeaky cheese, so I had them all to myself. 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment