Search This Blog

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Lunch Brings Childhood Memories

Today was a 'sandwich day'. Every other day I fix a 'big' lunch - meat, potatoes, vegies, salad - followed the next day by a 'small' lunch - sandwich, soup, chips, etc.

The sandwich choices seem to rotate around four or five of the same old things. Today, trying to think of something different, I hit upon an old childhood standby - hard fried eggs.

Bud had his with pepper jack cheese and I had mine with mustard. We both agreed they tasted pretty darn good. They also reminded us of our childhoods when we would find fried egg sandwiches in our school lunch sacks.

Eggs were plentiful on our farm, but I don't remember them being a constant school lunch staple. Our sandwiches were usually lunch meat or peanut butter and jelly. The egg sandwiches must have been a fall back for when we were out of the usual fare. In those days, I imagine catsup was the condiment of choice, now I wouldn't dream of anything but mustard!

So, I grew up on a farm and Bud grew up in the small town of Brooks. Both our families were like so many others of that time - poor. Which may explain why some of our childhood memories are so similar.


Our taste in school clothes was even similar.

I bet the old cowboys who populated our make-believe worlds liked fried egg sandwiches for lunch, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment