Search This Blog

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Season Is Open


The weather seems finally to have settled into what Spring is supposed to be, sunny blue skies with airy white clouds and temperatures in the 70's. After a
l-o-n-g, cold, wet spell, today was perfect to begin planting.
The old mailbox of my youth on the farm has become my herb planter. This year it holds Sweet Mint, Sweet Basil and Lemon Balm.

"Yes, in the poor man's garden grow
Far more than herbs and flowers --
Kind thoughts, contentment, peace of mind,
And joy for weary hours."

The two deck planters as well as a large pot are planted with sun-loving Salvia in a light shade of apricot. Now that I've gotten started, each time I go shopping, I'll be looking at the plants and, most likely, bringing home more to fill more planters.

May 10 was always the magic date when I was learning the rules for planting as a child. That was the accepted date for all danger of frost to be past.

And by May 10 most of our regional birds have returned for another nesting season. I always hear the Orioles before I see them and hurry to get their feeder out. Within a few minutes they begin visiting.

We had lots of Catbirds on the farm, but this is the first year I remember seeing any here.

The Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are always welcome!

The Brown-headed Cowbirds don't have a very good reputation, but I still think they are beautiful.

I did see a Ruby-throated Hummingbird the day I put up the oriole feeder, but I haven't seen it since, nor gotten a photo. And I'm hoping to be lucky enough to see and photograph the Indigo Bunting again this year. I'm also going to go out to Green Valley Lake in hopes of seeing a Kingfisher since learning there are some there.
So there is still lots of planting and bird watching to be done. The season is open.

1 comment:

  1. Knowing you're in your happy season makes me happy. <3

    ReplyDelete