Search This Blog

Saturday, April 22, 2017

After Being Sick For A Week....

Yesterday was the first I journeyed out and about after being ill for more than a week. *Someone*, I won't say who, but you can probably guess, brought home a bug I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, as the saying goes. It would be described, I guess, as a cold or an upper respiratory illness - a horrible, unrelenting cough was the worst part, seconded by extreme tiredness.
Anyway, after a week I finally felt up to venturing out. And one of the first things I noticed was the lilacs! The bushes are loaded this year. My niece sold her place in town, so I had to find another location to score a bouquet.

In the dooryard fronting an old farmhouse near the white-wash'd palings,
Stands the lilac bush tall-growing with heart-shaped leaves of rich green,
With many a pointed blossom rising delicate, with the perfume strong I love,
With every leaf a miracle -- and from this bush in the dooryard,
With delicate-color'd blossoms and heart-shaped leaves of rich green,
A sprig with its flower I break.

When lilacs last in the dooryard bloom'd,
And the great star early droop'd in the western sky in the night,
I mourn'd, and yet shall mourn, with ever-returning spring.

Ever-returning spring, trinity sure to me you bring,
Lilac blooming perennial and drooping star in the west,
And thought of him I love. 
     (Lines from When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd by Walt Whitman)

One thing being ill does is make you grateful once you start feeling better. If I had to be sick, at least it is almost over. I can enjoy the lilacs and all spring has on offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment