Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Week in Words and Pictures 6/28-7/4

Sunday - Twas a quiet Sunday morning all through the house when out on the deck there arose such a clatter. The blue jays were shrieking; such a noise they made. I jumped to the window and what did appear?
 But this young owl, itself full of fear. And that was the most exciting thing to happen on this lovely June day.

I did spend some time on the deck in the afternoon reading and watching some turkey buzzards riding the thermals. The wind was blowing. I was reminded of Edna St. Vincent Millay's Afternoon on a Hill.

Monday - Answered 'Clarence's' siren call on the way home from the Y - bought more flowers at Wally. (I have long referred to the clearance section in any store as 'Clarence'; as in, "I'm going to see my friend Clarence".)
Some of the plants - impatiens planted on the north side of the deck.  This afternoon got kohlrabi, tomatoes (early girl) and zucchini at the Farmers' Market.

Tuesday - The birth of my seventh great-grandchild and sixth great-grandson. Lily is still the only little girl.
Greyson Edward was born this morning at 8:08; 8 lbs, 14 ozs; 21 and 3/4 inches long. This was the happy news I was awaiting.

It would be early evening before I heard from this guy for the more anxiously awaited news of the day:

Doug had his first chemo and radiation today. Shelly took this photo of him on the phone with his mommy. Yes, we were laughing during the call. We have both found our sense of humor after all the dark what ifs of the first weeks of diagnosis and surgery. There are still uncertainties and the side effects of treatment to go through but a positive attitude helps. I hope my little boy knows his mommy would gladly change places with him so he did not have to go through it all.

Wednesday - 80/100's inch of rain overnight and about another 05/100's after I swept the deck the first time so I got to sweep it twice this morning!

Hoping the rain will take some of the smoke out of the air. This picture of the sun yesterday morning shows what the smoke from the Canadian wild fires is doing here.

Great-grandson Ayden is one year old today. He became a big brother when Greyson was born yesterday. He visited his mommy at the hospital before going to Grandpa & Grandma's for a few days. I predict little brother is going to be just as cute and sweet as is Ayden.

Thursday - Very sick to my stomach all day. Think it was something I ate yesterday. Certainly couldn't eat today. Yuck. Did manage a load of laundry this morning before I started feeling too bad. Also a few shots of some flowers.
The purple cone flower fascinates me the way it first opens as a pinwheel
...before completely opening with the petals drooping down around the seedy center.

The Stella de Oro day lilies I moved here from the farm are blooming - these among Mom's coral bells and some lambs ear.

Friday - Feeling much better. Talked to Dougie. (I have reverted to my mommy role - calling my son by his toddler age nick name.) Told him I was having sympathy nausea.

Found this tiny little feather on the patio this morning. See its iridescence on the upper edge? I wonder what bird it was that left me this beautiful gift? "Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all." (Emily Dickinson)

Saturday - A quiet 4th of July for us. Well, except for some guests of a neighbor who decided to shoot fireworks off on the lawn in back after the legal ones at the lake were over. This photo is one I took from our deck of the fireworks at the park.

I am not a big fan of fireworks - they're kind'a like mountains - seen one, seen 'em all. But if I have a favorite - just like Christmas lights - the clear ones are the ones I choose over any colored ones.

This is my idea of fireworks - the different lilies blooming around the house:

Also these firecrackers from the neighbor's:

This is the week that was.

No comments:

Post a Comment