Search This Blog

Friday, January 11, 2013

"I Love A Parade"


My brother has been posting some pictures from my hometown's 1957 Centennial Parade which reminded me of other pictures my parents had taken. I know from my diary that year that my younger sister, who was still in grade school, helped build a float. But I didn't record whether or not she rode on it, nor what the theme of the float was.


Jasper #2 (our school) and Jasper #4 went together to build the float. I don't think it was either of these - I can't identify anyone in these two pictures. Maybe someone will recognize one of these students or a teacher?


Actually, I do not love parades. When I was in high school, the homecoming parades were always a big deal, of course, and working on building the class float was fun. But I lost my enthusiasm for watching parades long ago. I wonder if it has anything to do with wanting to be in the "Pet and Doll" parade when I was very young? I SO wanted to decorate my doll buggy and wheel it down main street with my dolls inside, but that never happened. I had to be content (not) with watching others parade their pets and dolls.


I've only been in two parades in my life - riding on the Class of 1961 50-year float in the September, 2011 homecoming parade (which was quite enjoyable) and .........


........ portraying my favorite Muppet character in the homecoming parade in '83. I had no idea it would be so much more fun to BE in a parade than to watch a parade. I had a blast waving, throwing candy, and having people wonder who was inside that costume. I guess there have been times when I loved a parade.

To quote the famous Miss Piggy: "There is the satisfaction of providing your public with a vision of true beautology, true stylisity - how can I put it? - true glamorisotude."

No comments:

Post a Comment