Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Mom's Swedish Ivy


Mom and my kids and I had specific plans when we made a vacation trip to Colorado in '76. First we would spend a few days in Longmont with Mary Anderson - a life long friend of Mother's. These two exchanged letters every week or two until Mary's death.


Then we would head up to the Dillon area for a couple days in a friend's condo at Keystone. (Picture is of Doug playing in the Snake River near the condos.


We did some shopping while staying at the condo. In one store, there were many, many different kinds of hanging plants. These were store accoutrements, not something for sale. I should have prefaced this by relating that Mom was always a big plant lover. She had a plant pole in the living room and plant hooks at all the windows.
As she admired a Swedish ivy, she said something like, "I don't have one like this. I think I'll take a start of it." I said, "Mom, you can't do that!"


But she did. She reached up and snapped off about a three or four inch piece, wrapped it in a tissue and stuck it in her pocket. I was mortified. Get me out of this store before we are arrested! I think the ivy may have been the variegated variety like this one since she already had a regular green Swedish ivy at home.
Her pinched (both meanings) start survived the trip back to Iowa. It wasn't long before Mom had another beautiful hanging plant.


Mom's habit of appropriating plant starts may have worried me at first, but I have found myself doing the same thing over the years. Just this summer these Lamb's Ears (Stachys byzantina) have made a nice showing from the little bitty start that "somehow" found its way home with me. I love the soft texture and gray-green color of this herb. Usually they live through the winter, but if not, I know where......


Some of Mom's Sedum made the move with us from the farm. It has done so well, I have plenty. It is so easy to grow. This year I put some of it in a low, shallow, bowl planter along with some hen & chicks from Bud's Mom's place for a succulent garden. One side is growing like gang busters, while the other side is a bit sparse. So on a walk one morning, a start of a different sedum (upper left corner, larger, greener leaves) just happened to come home with me.

What can I say other than, "I am my Mother's daughter."

No comments:

Post a Comment