Search This Blog

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Company's Coming = Buy the Good Wine


A year ago at a wine tasting during our 50th high school class reunion (that's me in the blue denim shirt on the far side of our honored "Class of '61" float), I discovered a new preference for the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. (Although I still really like the Chilean Veramonte my brother introduced me to.) So when I was planning food, hors d'oeuvre, and drinks for the expected visit of a friend last month, I knew one of the wines I wanted was a NZ sauvignon blanc.


Local purveyors of wine are still stuck on Merlot's, Chardonnay's, Shiraz's, Caberet Sauvigon's, etc. To find the Sauvignon Blanc I wanted, I'd have to go to Des Moines. Luckily my son's 50th birthday party was taking place near the big city prior to the arrival of company; I could buy the NZ Starborough white I wanted.
I have read about the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc's - trying to figure out what there is about them that makes them different. Some say it is the climate, others say, "the soil". Some say it is the stainless steel, others say it is the acidity. I say it must just be my own palate. Tastes change.

 "Having company" gives me permission to buy "good wine". You know - the $11 to $18 per bottle as opposed to the $6 to $8 I spend on myself. So I went to the wine section of the West Des Moines Hy-Vee to purchase that bottle of Starborough SV which I had had before and held in regard. (Besides, I like that little starfish on the label.)
But wait. On the way to the New Zealand wine section, I passed the shelf of Black Box. Hadn't I recently been reading about Black Box wines? How they compared favorably to the more expensive bottled wines? Would this be the time to try the BB 2011 Sauvignon Blanc? Well, yes it was. Especially when their blurb read: "Pretty floral aromas unfold into bright citrus and tropical fruit flavors. A crisp and refreshing finish in the distinct New Zealand style." Also: "One box equals four bottles." Hmmm, thrifty and good? I deemed it worth a try.


 The first wine I ever really liked was Mateus Rose'. What can I say? - It was the '70s. A good Rose' is still one of my favourite wines. I read they are making a come back, but the selection is still sparse. The French Cotes du Rhone was one of the few on offer at that store - not the one I was looking for, but I'd try it. I was planning a caprese salad for lunch and either the Rose' or the SV (or both) would go well with it. And it was on sale for $14.
Boy did I luck out. International Wine Cellar said of this 2010 vintage: "Dark pink. Pungent red berry and cherry aromas are complimented by dried herb and licorice nuances. Fleshy and broad, with good depth to its bitter cherry and anise flavors. A rich, chewy style of pink wine that's clearly built for food. Closes with solid grip and good length, the anise note repeating." Gee, I wish I could get all that from tasting wine. All I know is, "I liked it."



When I do read about the wines I try, I realize how much I will never know, but wish I did, about making wine. When my daughter and I were talking about places we would like to visit, we both agreed, "never Paris". But I had been reading about the E. Guigal Cotes du Rhone Rose' and the winery in the Rhone River Valley of France - "That's one part of France I would like to see", I told her. (Picture is of the E(tienne) Guigal Winery.) Perhaps in my next lifetime I will be a wine maker or a sommelier.


Over the years Kristina and I have shared many meals and vintages. Would my choice of wines make any difference to our time together? No. Just being with her again would have sufficed, but those two award winners did add to the pleasure of being with a dear friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment