Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Love Affair With Maps



I'm not sure where my love of maps came from. Perhaps it was from the puzzle map of my youth. Before we had one of these puzzles at home, we had the one at Grandma Ridnour's to piece together. It was how I learned the shape of the states, where they belonged in the wider scope of our country and many of the state capitals. I actually remember how proud I felt when I could correctly put the states in their proper spot all by myself.



We studied geography beginning in the fourth grade. Our country school had the roll of maps at the front of the room. I'm sure they contributed to my fascination with maps. As the upper grades were learning not only geography, but also history, the appropriate map would be pulled down. I watched and listened along with the older students.
I also got into the habit of looking up where on the map an area I was reading about was located - not just school subjects but also in my free time reading. I could imagine "the Scottish Moors" and England's "Cornwall" from the novels' descriptions, but I also wanted to know where they really were on a map.


I don't remember an Atlas in our home until the early 60's but we had a few road maps of surrounding states. I would lay them out on the table and just study them. I loved reading all the funny names of the little towns and judging distances between the larger cities. I imagined someday traveling to some of those places.




Possibly one of the strangest things I ever did was to look at place names of different areas to try to decide where I might move when I was contemplating moving away from Corning in the mid-60's. I 'picked' possibilities based on how well I liked the sound of the town or city. Monett, Neosho and Carthage on this Missouri map sounded interesting, but I finally decided on Cape Girardeau as the most likely sounding destination. (I had never been to any of those places.)

Bellingham, Washington was the second possibility. I've forgotten the third. I ended up in Mt. Vernon, Iowa when I did actually move in 1967.

This Missouri Map also reminds me of the time I went with my future in-laws to visit Kenny when he was at Fort Leonard Wood for basic training. I think Chuck was driving and Betty was reading the map. We were at one of those places where the road jogged onto another numbered highway before jogging back and continuing south. She told him to turn right. I asked to see the map, looked at it and saw that we should have turned left. I was hesitant to say anything - I didn't want to tell my future mother-in-law she was wrong - but I also didn't want them going miles in the wrong direction. I was tactful. I said something like, "I may be looking at this wrong because it's upside down, but I think we should have turned left back there." Chuck looked at the map, agreed that I was correct and headed back the right way.


Before the states started issuing road maps available at rest stops or welcome centers, you had to buy a map at a service station, which probably is why we never had many road maps. Now when Bud and I are traveling we stop as soon as we enter a different state and get a new map - even if we were in that state before and have a map three or four years old.

I imagine as much as Bud likes electronic gadgets, he will eventually have a GPS system in his car. I will still be navigating by map. There is something about being able to see the big picture of where we're going as well as all the possible interesting side trips along the way that could never be replaced by a voice telling me where and when to turn.


I have tried to share my love of maps with some of the grandchildren - giving them a map, showing them where on the map we were and where we were going. I pointed out the signs showing numbers of highways, names of towns, etc. and then had them show me on their map where we were. I don't know how well any of them can read a map, let alone do it for fun. I don't even know if they carry a map in their cars or simply rely on a GPS.




I rely on modern maps to tell me what roads to take when I'm in a new location. But if I were to start collecting anything again, I would possibly collect maps. It is so interesting to look at ancient maps to see how the world was depicted then.

I've been trying to find a map of the United States showing the roads pre-interstates. I think about my Grandparent's big tour of the west in the 1950's and the roads they must have driven. How different that must have been compared to my trips!

Early maps can also show the names of towns long gone - geography and history combined. I've noticed on some old maps that the roads often followed alongside rivers. That makes sense - the earliest trails would have stayed close to a water supply.


"A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." Once in a very great while I am caught in the car without a book to read while I wait. I pull out a map or open the road atlas. I find new places I want to see. I am content.

1 comment:

  1. I must get that from you, then, because I love maps, too. Maps, globes, charts...all of it. Next time you're out and we head up Seattle way, let's make sure to stop in at Metsker Maps--it's cartography nirvana! (www.metskers.com)

    ReplyDelete