Search This Blog

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Gamma Delta Phi?

You know how when you wake up in the middle of the night and you can't go back to sleep your mind wanders all over the place?
Sometime between 2 and 3:30 this morning I thought about this Gamma Delta Phi (if I'm reading my Greek letters correctly) necklace. When I'm dead and the kids are going through my jewelry boxes, won't they wonder about this necklace? They know I never went to college, except for some courses at three Iowa area community colleges. (Kirkwood, DMACC and SWCC)
Well kiddies, the necklace is from a sale I attended in Brooks many years ago. The possessions being auctioned that day belonged to a former school teacher. I don't know where she went to college, but I can't find anything on the net about Gamma Delta Phi. Delta Gamma Phi, yes, so maybe I am reading the symbols incorrectly.
The closest I got to any society was being inducted into the National Honor Society as a senior at CHS. The Library pin and the Quill and Scroll are also mine.
Kari & Preston's Dad did join a Greek society when he got his Master's at Northeast Missouri State in Kirksville. I don't remember which one or if he had a pin. Maybe one of them has it now if he did have one.
Do you ever wonder what will happen to all your stuff when you're gone? Not that it will matter to you. Maybe instead of leaving things to be divided and perhaps squabbled over, we should take them out and bury them somewhere. Let someone a hundred years from now dig them up and wonder about why they were buried there and who they belonged to. I love a mystery.

2 comments:

  1. I went thru rush at ISU (Mom was a Kappa), and was soundly rejected. Too hick, me. I soon found fab friends in the dorm and got over it. My friends and I joked that we were GDI (God Damn Independent) house or Ro Alpha Gamma - the RAG house. In Creston I joined Beta Sigma Phi and met many good friends in that social sorority. I'm glad I can read Greek letters too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! The RAG house! Perfect.
    But did I read the Greek letters right? If so, why can't I find anything about GDP on the net?

    ReplyDelete