Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Intimidated By My Sisters-In-Law

I only have two brothers but I've had five sisters-in-law. There have been only two that I felt intimidated by - and by intimidated I mean it's meaning of overawed, not frightened. Coincidently both were nurses and both were the second wives of my brothers. 

I was so nervous about meeting Ruthie when Ron brought her home to meet his family. I wanted her to like me and ironically she felt the same way about meeting me, although I didn't know that until years later.

My fears were due to my feelings of inadequacy - she was educated with degrees. I was not. She was urbane. I was not. She had never been divorced. I had. But neither of us should have worried, we became the best of friends. I truly felt that she was a sister to me.

(Ruthie died twenty years ago and Ron did remarry. 

 


I was not quite as nervous about meeting Les' second wife. I was much older than when I met Ruthie for the first time and more secure in myself.

But again, Susan was more educated and urbane. They lived farther away and our times together were, and still are, less frequent. So it took longer and probably wasn't until after she retired and we had more interactions that I felt like we had established a real friendship.



In my eyes, Ruthie and Susan have both been charming women. I am glad they have been part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment