Search This Blog

Monday, September 11, 2023

Standing In (Not On) The Corner, In A Dunce Cap

Rearranging the spare bedroom before company came resulted in the treadmill now facing into a corner. I was walking this morning when Bud asked if that was worse than how it had been. I replied that it was actually better and then added, "Though it does remind me of having to wear a dunce cap and stand in the corner once when I was in grade school."


As soon as I said that, I did remember being punished for something and having to stand in the northeast corner of the school room. I remember being ashamed but I can't remember what I had done wrong - possibly talked back to the teacher. 

If so it would have probably been third grade which was the first year we had Mrs. Kimball as our teacher. My 1st and 2nd grade teachers probably wouldn't have punished me that way. Mrs. Kimball was more strict.


However, I probably did not have to wear a dunce cap. I doubt she would have taken the time to make one.

And being a dunce meant being slow at learning. I was not that, well, except for math, maybe.

Ten minutes with your face in the corner and your back turned to everyone else seemed like an eternity. I could imagine the others pointing and grinning behind me. Though the teacher would have put a stop to that if they had been. 

And I would have been in even bigger trouble with my parents after my brother and sister went home and told them about it.


The worst punishment anyone received during my entire eight years in country school was when one of the 8th grade boys was suspended for three days. I don't remember if it was for cussing the teacher or raising his hand to her. But it was dramatic.

Funny the memories a chance remark will call to mind.

(Images are stock; not really me.) 😍


No comments:

Post a Comment