Search This Blog

Saturday, September 30, 2023

September '23 Book List

Only seven books read this month - or maybe just six and a half considering the size of one of them:

The Golden Doves by Martha Hall Kelly is the second book of hers I've read. This one is set during WWII - one of my favorite time periods to read about.

The Librarian Of Burned Books by Brianna Labuskes is also a WWII era novel, inspired by a true story. It tells the stories of three women who believe in the power of books to counteract the darkness of war.

Somebody's Fool by Richard Russo is set in upstate New York. Our library doesn't get many of his books, but I always read them when they do. He is such a fine writer and can turn any subject/idea into a compelling story.

The Heist by Daniel Silva is his next book of the Gabriel Allon series that I've been reading. I love the history of art that he combines with his espionage themes.

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox And The Horse by Charlie Mackesy is the half book that I referred to. I put it on my list to read when I first heard of it and expected to find it in the children's section. However it was in the adult non-fiction stacks of the library.
Charlie Mackesy is not only the author, he is also the illustrator of the line drawings. He describes the book as being for everyone, whether you are eight or eighty. Its main message is kindness, though other themes are touched upon. I found this to be an enchanting little book.

The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave is the story of a woman who totally believes she knows her husband until he disappears of his own accord and she discovers he wasn't who she thought. His final message is to protect his daughter. 

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly is another of her novels set during WWII. It was inspired by the life of a real WWII heroine. Reading these books can be hard as they tell real stories about the atrocities committed by the Nazis. But I feel it is important to understand what happened during those years. I'm learning alot I had not known before. It makes me very grateful to live where and when I have. It also makes me fearful for future generations.

You can learn alot by looking, but reading gives understanding. Books have always been one of my greatest pleasures. 💖

No comments:

Post a Comment