Search This Blog

Friday, May 26, 2023

The Gateway to Summer When Everything Feels Possible

The Month of May is not only the gateway to summer, it is also the month when everything seems possible. Flowers are blooming and there is a feeling of expectancy in the warm air. 


Something that I did not expect was that on May 1st Bud announced that he was going to paint the deck.

It had been four years since we last painted it and neither of us felt like doing it ourselves again.

But try as we did we could not find anyone else to do it. I wasn't up to helping so it was all Bud's project - from power washing, to buying the paint, and applying two coats.


So from start on May 3 ....








...  to finish on May 5, it looks great.

The creeping phlox is just one example of those blooming flowers I mentioned.

They don't last long, but they are so delightful.

Lily of the Valley and Columbine came next. They are really spreading along the north side of the house.




Yesterday it was the Peonies that popped. So lush and fragrant!





Mother's Day weekend started the real 'deck'-orating when son Preston and daughter-in-law Shalea surprised me with this gorgeous planter.





And continued when son Douglas and daughter-in-law Shelly brought me an equally gorgeous hanging planter.

My kids sure know my colors!



Finally, this week I felt like filling some of my pots and adding even more color.

Bud moved one of the shepherd's hooks to the north end of the deck. I used two empty hanging pots from previous years for some wave petunias.

I thought I was getting all pink ones, but when two of them bloomed I discovered they were red ones among the pink.

Is it silly that I may have to find another pot for those two? They're messing up my color scheme. 😬



It is tried and true for this corner of the deck and this planter.

Each year, salmon geraniums with an accent plant - this year it is asparagus fern.

The Clematis growing on the trellis behind is just loaded with buds. 

I have a few more pots in which I am trying seeds instead of buying started plants. I hope they grow and bloom. 



I didn't know what to put in the two planters attached to the railing along the side deck until I saw these bright little gems. I had forgotten all about Lobelia. I think because I hadn't had much luck with it in the past.

Hopefully they will do okay this year.



At the corner of the deck where the steps lead down to the patio, atop the found and scavanged base of a birdbath, I potted some of my favorite annuals - Verbena.




Down to the patio, where shade loving Impatiens should do well in this old iron kettle, and the basil in the mailbox from my childhood is handy for use in the kitchen.

In the background the first of the ditch daisies are begining to bloom.



Returning to the perennials - lambs ear backed by abundant chives. I love having the chives even if I don't do anything with them.




I still lament the loss of Mom's Coral Bells moved here from the farm, but it does look like the replacement 'Marvelous Marble' ones are about ready to bloom.




Part of the expectancy of May is the return of all the birds.

Not only the song birds.....





.....but also the frequent visits from the heron.


We're only five days away from the end of May, but it has been a beautiful and productive start to summer.


Now if we can just get some gentle rains with no storms.... 💚💧😊




No comments:

Post a Comment