Search This Blog

Saturday, June 11, 2022

A June Morning in the Old Home Counties

After a cool, late spring, it is nice to have warmer weather, perfect for a short trip into the countryside in the areas I know best.



West branch of the 102 River near where I once lived.



Wild Roses - Iowa's State Flower. It is also known as the Prairie Rose. These are growing just east of the Prairie Rose Cemetery where family members are buried. 




There was so much birdsong along this stretch of roadway. No wonder, with all the mulberry trees the birds have a plentiful food source.


I remember when the ditches a mile and half west of the farm were full of these wild sweet peas. I always wondered how they got there.

They are now getting thick along the road east of the cemetery. So pretty!


Also in this same area are many of these bushes with some sweet smelling white flowers. 

My best guess on these is Tall Boneset.


"Just throw me on the bone pile" is one of HD's sayings I hear every once in awhile. 

And while the farmer may have consigned a Catalpa tree to his burn pile, the tree continues to blossom.



Nearby, in the ditch among some Red Cedars, a new young Catalpa is growing and blooming.

I have always liked these trees and the way they perfume the air while blooming.




These Shelf Mushrooms are growing on a dead tree on the north side of the roadway into Walnut Grove Cemetery in Corning.

They may be member of the Bracket fungi, part of the family of Polyporales. But ???





A close up of the ones at the base of the tree.

Possibly edible, but again?? I only eat the ones I'm certain of - morels. 



It was looking a little rainy all around, but all I experienced was a brief
monkey's wedding shower - rain falling while the sun is shining.



They've been working on getting the pond fountain working again the last few days.

I arrived home just in time to see it start up - the first since August 2016 according to my photos.

All in all, a very pleasant June morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment