Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Mother Goose, Easter and the Bird Flu

 

This photo of mama goose was taken Sunday. She was doing a lot of stirring around, I hoped readying to bring out her babies. But we had torrential rain the day before so maybe she was just tidying her nest. 

Hopefully none of the goslings drowned.

And this photo of her was taken this morning after a cold night of below freezing temps. She was all huddled down keeping the little ones warm. I expect to see them out in the next day or so. The new base under the nest is much larger which should help getting the goslings out. 



We took down the bird feeders after the bird flu here in Iowa got so bad. I hadn't even thought of it helping spread the disease until the DNR posted about it. I really miss seeing all the different species arriving. A few still show up, look around and leave. I've seen a Brown Thrasher and this morning a little wren, but no Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting or Orioles yet, though that might be due to the winter weather staying around too long. I saw one weather prediction that we would have snow during the end of May!


We went to Polk City to Granddaughter Katrina's for an Easter egg hunt and lunch this year. I don't think the little ones even noticed how chilly it was. Jack, Maverick and Brynley are in this photo. It was so nice to see everyone - the first time since last July.



I was especially glad to meet my great-great-granddaughter, Catalina, for the first time. What a sweet, happy little doll she is. I also met her mom, Mariah, for the first time. She is grandson Brock's step-daughter. So technically Catalina is my step-great-great-granddaughter. 




Here I am with Lily and Brynley, the only two great granddaughters, so far - one of the reasons I'm happy to have a great-great granddaughter to add to the girls among eight great-grandsons.





When the egg hunt and lunch were over and everyone was sitting around visiting, I noticed Maverick quietly taking eggs out of the storage container they'd gone back into after the hunt.

I was intrigued by the way he was sorting them into colors. It made me wonder about how his mind was working and what he will grow up to be - something analytical I think.

How quickly it seems, that the grandchildren grew up. I was there at the hospital shortly after all four of them were born. These are Doug's four kids with me in the middle - Katrina, Zachary, Alyssa and Brock. I am one fortunate grandma, great-grandma, great-great-grandmother.


Perhaps my favorite photo of the day was this one of Great-grandpa Bud down on the floor playing Barbie dolls with Lily and Brynley. He was providing the story lines of the dolls which was causing much laughter from the girls.




He is also the one who got this photo of Katrina, Brynley and Catalina.

Katrina had been holding Catalina for quite awhile when Brynley said she wanted to hold the baby. When Katrina tried to take her back Brynley said to Catalina: "Who do you love more? Her or me?" Bud and I both got a big kick out that.




We knew rain and snow showers were in the forecast for the day but we figured by afternoon they would be over. Wrong. We drove most of the way home in near white-out conditions.

Ahh, Iowa in April. 



No comments:

Post a Comment