Search This Blog

Thursday, September 23, 2021

You Are A Great-Grandma Now Betty


September 23 never goes by without me thinking of my little sister, Betty Ruth. She was born 76 years ago today on a Sunday morning - the date of the Autumn Equinox that year.

Do I look unhappy in this photo? Or maybe confused? I've posted all the early photos of Betty that I have. In most of them we are pictured together. At less than two years difference in our ages, we were playmates, confidants, friends, rivals and at times, enemies. 

All you have to do is put Betty in the search box above on the left to see how often and what I've written about her.


I have hardly any photos of her or the two of us together when we were older. Most of the photos of her that I had or that were in Mom's pictures, I gave to her daughter, Kristi. 

This is when she was my maid-of-honor at my wedding to Kenny in November, 1961. It was my 18th birthday. Betty had turned 16 in September. 



I have a few photos of Betty's children, Mike and Kristi when they were young.

This one of them with my two children was taken, I think, the Christmas before she died in 1973.

L to R: Douglas, Kristine, Kari, Michael.


Betty didn't get to see her daughter Kristi grow up and become a mother herself. She didn't get to spoil her granddaughter Jesse or be part of this four generation photo with them and her husband Gene and mother Ruth.



Nor be there with Kristi and me at her granddaughter Jesse's baby shower last month.

Kristi and I both suggested it would be nice if the baby were born on your birthday Betty, even though the due date was around the first of October.


But your great-grandson, Boston Eugene, didn't even wait that long. He was born September 18.

Would you like his name? I think so. And you would love him and be happy and proud that your legacy lives on. 

Oh, how I wish you could have stayed and enjoyed living your life.



I recently found this receipt 'on account' (with Dad's name misspelled) from the day you were born. It seems fitting to share it today.
Happy Birthday little sister.
I miss you - now more than ever.





No comments:

Post a Comment