Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Books I Read In June

 Summertime and my reading habits change - only seven books read in June.

A Piece of the Moon by Chris Fabry (a new author for me) is about an eccentric millionaire who hides his treasure somewhere in the hills of West Virginia, provides clues to it, and invites hunters to try and find it. It was a different part of the counry, but very much like real life Forrest Fenn's treasure hunt in the Rockies. (Art imitating life?)

Code To Zero by Ken Follett is set in 1958 during America's attempt to launch its first satellite and catch up with Russia in the space race. It's a time during the Cold War when spies, deceit and betrayal were all a part politics and of our daily lives. (I remember being certain I would wake up some morning and find Russian military in our front yard.) Follett is such a fine writer, I will read any and all of his books even if I'm not crazy about the subject matter.

The Rules Of Magic by Alice Hoffman, another excellent author. I believe I mentioned last month that I plan to read all the books by her that are available at the library. 

Angels Flight by Michael Connelly is his sixth book in his series featuring Harry Bosch, but the first in order of the ones the library has. I plan to read my way through this series, too. 

Where Truth Lies is by Christiane Heggan, another new author for me. I wanted a paperback to take with me on our two-day trip to Eastern Iowa and I found a good one. It is a little romance with a good murder mystery - so a quick read with a story line that held my interest - and lasted the two days away.

the summer of lost and found is #7 in Mary Alice Monroe's Beach House series. I really enjoy these books set on Sullivan's Island and The Isle of Palms. They were a big part of why I wanted to visit both places when we went to Charleston, SC in 2014. 

Practical Magic is the first of Alice Hoffman's books featuring the descendants of one of the witches of Salem. I had read it before, but it has been a few years. After reading The Rules of Magic, I decided to revisit Practical Magic.

I still have three more books I got the same time as these last three, but like I said, my reading habits change during the summer months. I need to only check out three or four books instead of five or six.
Regardless of the season, reading is still one of my top pleasures. 


No comments:

Post a Comment