Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2021

A Deck Party - Sort Of

We have a big deck. The two of us have painted it ourselves serveral times in the almost 13 years we've lived here. That is work enough for us older types, but when it came to shoring up the deck, making it less shaky, more secure, I was no help at all. 

Deck posts cannot be set in concrete in this mobile home park. They rest on concrete blocks and over the years the blocks sunk and the deck had shifted away from the house. HD decided last week it was time to do something about it before the deck traveled any further downhill.


He figured out what to do and how to do it, then enlisted some help.

This involved a come-along and straps, posts and steel bars for leverage and muscles.

It had to be moved from the side....





....and the front.


I was concerned about the safety of the people - and my flowers. 😅




Which as you can see, survived.



Orignal post supports were repositioned as needed and new ones were installed. 

The final steps were screwing in anchors and fastening cables to them to hold everything in place.

I have to admit, I didn't realize how shaky the deck was until I walked across it once HD had it secured. It is so solid. 

Now if we could just find a deck stain/paint that lasted longer than two years.



2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a lot of work! I so wish we could be having our coffee out there. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, sweetie. I went to where we had our picnic two years ago. Just wasn't the same w/out you.

    ReplyDelete