Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

October Country and Bradbury



I doubt I've ever read a Ray Bradbury book, yet this cover from 1955 looks familiar. The book was a collection of nineteen of Bradbury's eerie short stories.






Three years ago, while looking for a quote about October, I found this image. I was surprised by the author's name.
I loved the quote so much I used it with one of my photos October first two years ago.







This is the full quote of Bradbury's October Country:

"......that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger and midnights stay. That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal bins, closets, attics and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain."

Hmm, that omitted line about coal bins, cellars and attics, if included, would have made me see the author more like the way I perceive him. But I would not have liked the romanticism of the quote as much as I did/do.

October is not all "bright blue weather" it is the month pumpkins, hayrides, bonfires and of ghosties and goblins, too. I aim to enjoy the month in all its glories. 😈💀👻💓

No comments:

Post a Comment