Search This Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Before Christmas In July

This year was our fifth annual Christmas in July. The whole concept of getting the family together and celebrating in July rather than December had been a big success. Yet this year I was concerned that maybe it had run its course. One whole branch of the family was not going to be present. The party was going to be hosted by a son and daughter-in-law, but held at a granddaughter's home. She had already hosted once and I was afraid having us all there would be an imposition. It was going to be a pool party. How would that work?
And why do I go borrowing trouble as my Mom used to say? I needn't have worried. It was a huge success; lots of fun and I even enjoyed the pool though I didn't think I would.
Here's a selection of pictures from this year's Christmas in July ----

Great-grandsons Ridge and Jack playing one of many games in the basement Rec Room. (Do they still call them that?)





Grandson Zach trying to beat the machine.







Granddaughter Katrina with her jukebox, her favorite of the entertainment playthings and mine. I spent many enjoyable minutes going through all the songs and punching in some old favorites.


Meanwhile some gathered around the bar outside - Evan, Brock, Jen, Doug and Bud. There was an ebb and flow in the congregates, but Doug and Bud were pretty consistent. Doug was manning the smoker and Bud was taking pictures.

Shadow had already been in the pool once and was wanting back inside for another dip.

Great-granddaughter Brynley had a special gift for Great-grandma Ramona from her and Rodney. No picture of it, but another instance of making me feel loved was when I got out of the pool and Katrina was waiting for me with a particular bath towel - even though I had brought my own; even though there was a rack full of pool towels - she wanted to spoil her grandma.



Great-grandson Maverick just up from his nap and still not quite awake. Those swim goggles look too big for him; must belong to his daddy, Evan.




Granddaughter Alyssa and great-granddaughter Lily had spent the morning shopping and were ready to eat when they got back.


Brynley, Rodney, Katrina, me, Shelly and Kari (back to camera). We all enjoyed the goodies on the snack table.

Just one of the many pool pictures. This one with team Alyssa and Maverick challenging team Katrina and Brynley to a baby race.

My biggest complaint at any family gathering is not being able to hear all the many different conversations going on. How I wish I knew what all were talking about. But I did have several really good individual convos with various family members one of which was with great-grandson Rodney. We talked about how fast summer was going and soon school would start. He told me how his new school was already overcrowded and that the arts were suffering because the art and music rooms, had to be turned into classrooms. Rodney seems so grown-up for his age. But then I can remember being ten and some of the thoughts I harbored.

Brynley is just so darned cute. Bud took this picture of her. Katrina was showing me the proofs from their recent family photo shoot and I remarked how cute she was in all of them and "How will you ever choose which ones to keep?" "I know, right?" she replied. I told her again how very, very happy I am that she has a daughter. I recited that old quote: "A son is a son 'til he takes a wife; a daughter's a daughter all her life." She said she had never heard that before.

We were packing up getting ready to leave. Brock offered to help carry stuff to the car. I don't know where the hat came from, but I called him Van Gogh - as in Vincent Van Gogh's "Self Portrait With Straw Hat". If their offer goes through, he and Jen will be hosting next year's Christmas in July at their new home. Keeping my fingers crossed for them and looking forward to next year's annual family get-together.

No comments:

Post a Comment