Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

100 Years As A National Park

One hundred years ago today the Grand Canyon National Park became the 17th U.S. National Park by an Act of Congress and signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson.

I had heard it said many times, "Everyone should visit the Grand Canyon at least once in their life." In March of 1993, Bud and I finally got there.

In celebration of the park's centennial, here are a few of the pictures I took on that trip. (Note that I only found some of my pictures and they happen to be the ones that had some water damage. They are also faded and don't do justice to the beautiful colors of the canyon.) 😥




















I saw all the warnings about straying too close to the edges, so I was scared stiff when Bud saw a small trail on the other side of the fence at one of the viewing points.  It lead down to this turtle shaped rock. "I'm going down there and I want you to take my picture." No way could I talk him out of it. Obviously if there was a path others had done the same thing. But that didn't make me any happier about him doing it. You have to look closely - that is Bud standing on the turtle's head.

It was a great trip and I am so glad we made it. Happy 100th Birthday, Grand Canyon National Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment