Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Read In January 2019

About my average - ten books read this first month of the New Year.

Clock Dance by Anne Tyler was on a top ten 'Book of the Year' lists for 2018 and was one of my favorites this month. Anne Tyler is one of the authors I will always read.

Pieces of Her by Karin Slaughter is one of her stand-alone books. This one about a daughter wondering if she really knows her mother. A tense and suspenseful read which shows how difficult it is to hide in this age of electronic surveillance.

Vengeance by Benjamin Black (Pen name of Irish author John Banville.) We had been enjoying the BBC series Quirke about an Irish pathologist; I wanted to read one of the books the series was based on.

Her Every Fear by Peter Swanson was one of NPR's best books of 2017. This book was compared to Gone Girl which is why I added him to my 'authors' list.

The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton was my favorite read this month. I love Morton's books and the way she weaves present day into something that happened in the past. Highly recommend.

small great things by Jodi Picoult After reading Picoult's latest book last month, I decided it was time to go back a read more of her's. As I said, she doesn't shy away from controversy. small great things deals with race, prejudice, privilege and justice for which there are no easy answers.

Broken by Karin Slaughter I was sad when I finished Slaughter's Grant County series because I really liked the characters. So I was happy to find that one of them carries over into the Will Trent series. This is #4 where GBI special agent Trent is sent to Grant County - the crossover book where the continuing characters first meet.

Fallen by Karin Slaughter is #5 in the Will Trent series.

Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult is one of her older novels.  A former teacher tries to start over in a small town after serving time for misdemeanor sexual assault of one of his students at his former post. But the law requires him to register as a sexual offender and soon everyone in town knows and wants him gone. "Innocent until proven guilty" - yeah, right.

Criminal by Karin Slaughter is # 6 in the Will Trent series and so far my least favorite. Alot of flashbacks establishing the who/why of some of the characters.

More Picoult and Slaughter next month - and who else??

No comments:

Post a Comment