Search This Blog

Friday, June 6, 2014

A New D-Day Tradition?

Some years, after Memorial Day, I go back to retrieve the plastic flowers from the graves and other years I don't. It is strictly happenstance that I did so two years ago on June 6 and again today. If it happens one more time, either by happenstance or by design, I will declare undecorating the graves as the new D-Day tradition. (Most of the cemeteries give you two weeks to remove your floral offerings or they will be disposed of.)

When we went two years ago I planned a little side trip after we had been to the cemeteries. I drove and I wouldn't tell Bud where we were going. That was the time we went to Grant for lunch at The Hayloft and then to Pilot Grove Park so I could see a bow string bridge I had read about. (Chances R, June 6, 2012 "A Perfectly Serendipitous Day")


Today we went a little further afield to Macedonia in Pottawatomie County and I did tell Bud where I was taking him this time.


Lunch was at the Back Forty. (The Hayloft, the Back Forty, am I detecting a theme here?) For a small town there seems to be a lot of community pride going on.


Sorry to say I neglected getting the story about the town clock. Apparently it was just repaired last year, but I don't know if it stands in its original site nor how old it is. Weather-wise the day could not have been prettier.


Macedonia was founded on the east side of the Nishnabotna River in 1846 and moved to its present location in 1880 due to flooding. It is located along the Mormon Trail. Some of the stores along Main Street are now used for other purposes. This one is the Pioneer Trail Museum. Across the street are the Grist Mill McCready Theatre and the Stempel Bird Collection & Museum.


The reason I wanted to go to Macedonia was to visit The Painted Camel Gallery. Ever since meeting the potter, Paul Koch at the Corning Fine Arts Center and learning about their new gallery, I've wanted to see it.
www.potterybythecreek.com  Not only is Paul's work on display and for sale, there is the work of twenty-six other artists on consignment.


Previous owners used it for their residence and had already done much of the building's rehabilitation . The tile work, exposed brick and faux painted walls are perfect for a gallery in my opinion.


Paul's wife, Carol Jean, manages the gallery. She was so nice to talk with and gave us a tour of the site. Even though most of the downstairs interior work is already completed, future plans include renovating the upstairs as well as finishing the courtyard which can be glimpsed through the kitchen window.


Just as we were getting ready to start home, I saw this gorgeous wood canoe. Another example of Macedonian artwork? If you're looking for a road trip, one to this small eastern Pottawatomie County town and The Painted Camel Gallery is one I highly recommend - especially on a perfect June day.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how neat! I agree with you, that space is gorgeous for art displays. Sounds like you had a great day out, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete