Search This Blog

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Strolling Along The Battery in Charleston

Reader of historical fiction that I've always been, one of the things on my bucket list (if I had one) was to walk on the battery in Charleston, SC.


No fancy dress with a hoop skirt, but I got to stroll along the battery with my sweetie. I wonder how many times walking on the battery has been mentioned in the books I've read?

This post is going to be mostly a pictorial of views of our stroll around the area. Beginning with a walk through White Point Gardens.


Fountain, flowers and trees along South Battery Street on the north side of the park.


Beginning our walk by peeking through the fence into one of those lovely back gardens.


Looking through a porte-cochére into a courtyard.


Bud spotted the interesting roots of this equally interesting tree growing out of the sidewalk. I believe it could be a crepe myrtle - should have paid more attention to the leaves, too.


One way of taking a guided tour. There were also guided walking tours which we accidentally became part of while walking along the East Battery.


We had some debate about whether or not this was Fort Sumter. I didn't think so as it wasn't identified on the map we had. I've learned it is the remains of Castle Pinckney - a castle-like fortress built in the early 1800's. It was placed on the National Register in 1970 - believed to be the last horseshoe fort in America which can be restored.


Another one of those wisteria trees I saw so often in the south. Although this one is more obviously the wisteria vine climbing the tree. Look at the size of those vines. I wonder how old this wisteria plant is?


Standing at the entrance gate of the Edmondston-Alston house one of the piazzas from which General P.T. Beauregard watched the bombardment of Fort Sumter signaling the start of the Civil War.


Some very interesting front steps. I believe it was ivy growing in them.


Bud by The Fort Moultrie Monument Monument ("To the defenders of Fort Moultrie") also known as the Sgt. William Jasper Monument.

There was so much more we could have seen and done in Charleston, but weather was threatening and I had done what had been most important to me - strolling along the battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment