Search This Blog

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Reasonably Certain I Won't Be Murdered For My Fossils


We were watching Mysteries at the Museum, which related the 1849 Webster-Parkman murder at the Harvard Museum over the fossilized skeleton of a mastodon. I've always been fascinated by those preserved fragments of past geologic ages and have a very small collection some of which are pictured here. I don't think I'm in any danger of being murdered for any of my specimens!
The largest is this chunk of petrified wood. The first time I saw petrified wood was when my maternal grandparents came back from their big trip out west in the 1950's. They brought home a piece from the Petrified Forest in Arizona. From the moment I saw it I wanted to find my own chunk of wood turned to stone.


A few summers ago when grandson Ki was staying with us we headed out toward Carbon to go fishing. The fish weren't biting that day so we decided to explore in the area of  an old coal mine. (I had been given permission by the land owner after writing an article about his coal-mining days for the local newspaper.)
We had done a pretty thorough search without finding anything interesting and were just leaving when we saw a little of the above piece sticking out of the dirt. It looked so much like a tree limb we almost passed it by. But Ki and I dug it out and much to our delight had this large piece of petrified tree.


The gastropod(?) above left, also came from a Carbon coal mine via tailings washed into Bull Creek. It was given to me by a friend several years ago. Next to it is a petrified bone followed by what look to me like two more fossils containing parts of bone.
The small almost round fossil is a brachiopod or shell - one of the most common fossils found in Iowa. A warm shallow sea once covered our state. The horn shaped one is a horn coral. The piece above it has many tiny creatures and pieces of shell layered and fused together.
I don't know if the far right piece is amber (fossilized tree resin) or not, but it makes me think of amber.


I tried to get a close-up of the small ones. Maybe you can see the conglomeration of the fused fossils on the top right as well as another angle of the horn coral. The imprint left in the piece on the left could also be from a plant instead of bone. The shell (brachiopod) is from the Devonian Period - 375 million years old. Is it any wonder these bits of the past fascinate me? I should have been a geologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment