Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"The Old Gray Mare....

She ain't what she used to be." Substitute 'little silver car' for 'old gray mare'. It was an interesting morning.
It has been at least two weeks since I drove my car. It sets outside in the neighbor's carport so we always take the garaged car. (Bud's Honda) I had an appointment this morning so before Bud left to go to Corning to see his Mom, I went over to make sure my car started. It did. I set the emergency brake to leave it running for a while to warm up.
When Bud left, I moved my car into the garage until time for me to leave. I had a heckuva time getting it out of the carport. I thought it was just spinning on the snow and ice even though I never have had a problem with it going in the snow. But there have been other times when it hasn't been driven for awhile that it takes a try or two to get it to reverse.
By the time I was halfway uptown I knew I had a brake dragging. But I made it to my appointment and I made it back home. The problem occurred when I pulled crossways on the street to back into the carport. I couldn't go forward or reverse. A neighbor tried to help push the car. Even that didn't work.
Luckily Bud got home before I had given up and called a tow truck. I told him the rear brakes were locked. He thought the emergency brake probably froze on when I set it, so tried to disconnect the cable. Then he realized only one rear tire wasn't moving. He got a hammer, took off the hubcap and banged on the brake drum a few times. That was all it took. I backed into the car port and he put the hubcap back on.
It's nice to be married to someone who can fix anything. He says, "All you need is a hammer and duct tape". I really need to get a different car though, even if duct tape does match the color of mine.

1 comment: