Search This Blog

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Vintage Swedish Hunting Knife


I was searching around for something else a couple days ago and ran across this knife I purchased at a garage sale many years ago. (I've always had a thing for knives.) I think I bought it, at least partly, because I liked its burled wood handle.


But also because of its size (7 and 3/4"), that it came in a sheath and was stamped with a Swedish logo. I realized that now, with the internet, I could learn more about it.

The blade is imprinted K. J. Eriksson, Mora, Sweden. The history of Morakniv goes back 400 years to the tradition of knife making in Mora, Sweden. What would eventually become one of the world's most popular knife manufacturers began in 1891. I haven't found a specific year for the knife I have, but one like it is described as vintage another, similar but slightly smaller, antique.


Company history states that "From the beginning, curly birch was the obvious material for the more expensive knives, but when it became somewhat of a defiency, ordinary birch was used." So I assume the handle on this one is birch.
The genuine leather sheath is also vintage - a 1969 Ka-Bar hunting knife case. The knife fits in it perfectly. Oh, yeah, and the knife is very sharp.

Back when I bought it I thought that someday I might give it to my nephew Andrew because of his Swedish heritage on his Mom's side. Now I would give it to any of my children, grandchildren or their spouses who wanted it and could use it.

To be sure, I still want to have it, but I can't keep everything.

Addendum: Today, May 23, 2023, I found someone who would treasure this knife and use it - my nephew Al Brown. It felt like I put it in the hands of the right person. 💕




1 comment: