Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Out and About July 1-8

As you can see, Google Blogger is forcing me to change my format. They've been trying to for some time, now it is do it or quit posting. Blech, I don't like change. Eventually, I will get used to it, probably discover some positives. Blah, blah, blah.




July 1, Great-grandson Ayden turned six years old. This photo was taken January 25 which was the last time we saw him in person. Miss seeing him and all the little ones.




This is the picture his Dad shared on the 1st. Greyson turned five the day before. They both like trains, but Ayden is probably more obsessed about them.




Also on the 1st, I potted my last plants for the deck. I found some lavendar petunias which almost match the old iron pot. I placed them around a white volunteer petunia which came up in a pot of Goldilocks I was trying to winter over in the house.





I decided to let one sunflower grow this year.
Morning dew in its heart caught my eye. Amazing how fast these grow.




My mornings always begin early.
This bruised purple sky morning pic was taken at 5:30 a.m. on the 3rd.

My day ended with many bangs, booms and some aerial displays from those in a hurry to begin celebrating the 4th.





Less "bruising" and softer lavenders to begin the 4th. But no 4th of July 'official' fireworks at Lake McKinley this year. -- Like so many things that have been Covid cancelled.




There was  a 6:00 a.m. visit at the pond from a mama and her fawn.
This little one was having so much fun racing back and forth, tearing up and back across the lawn. I tried, and failed, to get a video of it. That babe was moving SO FAST!



I've been hearing so many bird songs that I can't identify and I can't get pictures of the singers to help me at all. But I did recognize this Grackle by its glossy, iridescent body and yellow eye.

A lone black bird and where does your mind go? Mine? "One for sorrow....two for....of course! Didn't you learn that old nursery rhyme?



That picture was taken Sunday morning as I sat on the deck reading.
Shortly after, I noticed this oak leaf, not the 'last rose of summer' but the 'last leaf of winter'. It was caught between the legs of the chairs we haven't even bothered setting out around the table.
Again, Covid casualties - no visitors to enjoy casual visiting/dining this year. 😞

Standing in for July 6th, because apparently the only picture I took Monday was one of books for my end of the month Books Read post.
Chances are very good these 'Wild Horses' (I think) day lilies I moved here from the farm were open on the 6th and I just didn't notice them until Tuesday morning. They are shown with Mom's Coral Bells also moved from the farm and some Lamb's Ear in blossom. (P.S. If you ever want a start of lamb's ear, I can supply it.)



One thing we noticed the morning of July 3 and wondered about was this electric blue thing over by the fence. Was it a plastic bag? A big balloon? Someone's shirt?
Sitting on the deck yesterday morning, Bud decided it was time to find out.




It was someone's Chinese floating lantern sent skyward Friday night. This is the first one I've seen close up. It is bigger than I thought they were. I always think they are so interesting and pretty.
I had visions of cutting off the burned parts, making it smaller and using it as a wind catcher. But after 20-30 minutes blowing on the shepard's hook, it was getting pretty tattered.

Also while sitting on the deck we watched the heron doing something we've never seen before. It left the cattails and pond environs to stroll across the grass. It seemed to be stalking toward something, but what? Maybe it thought the cement chickens were potential rivals, or friends? But it kept going until we could no longer see it. Strange.



On the way back from a quick grocery and library run, I saw this gorgeous trumpet vine on the corner of an equally gorgeous old home. After thinking how lovely it was I thought, "But hard on the siding." Those little suckers holding it to the house will work their way underneath the boards, eventually causing problems.
There was a black swallowtail butterfly flying around the blossoms. Hummingbirds also like the trumpet shaped flowers.
I've had these vines in the past and have always liked them. One of these days I'll find a start and have one here.

I don't take my camera along on morning walks when I am just walking around the neighborhood so this morning when I spotted some little purple flowers I couldn't identify, I had to bring home a sample. I finally decided this is Carpatian Bellflower (Campanula) ground cover.




When I went out on the deck to water my plants, I noticed the fawn and its mother across the pond. They are pretty regular visitors these days.


Lastly, something I glimpsed yesterday but didn't take the time to check out - bulldozers have been working along the south side of the road leading to the Lake McKinley campgrounds. It looks so open and different without the trees and bushes.

At least, so far, some of the trees and thickets are still there along the west and east ends. Clearing the area has taken away the country road feeling that was an enjoyable part of driving along the south side of the park.



It does look like this Cottonwood tree is being saved. I thought the mattress strapped to it was to keep it from being damaged by the machinery. But Bud said it looked like a zip line was stretched between it and another tree. You can just make out part of the line in this photo. I think he's proably right, but it is a very short zip line and who put it up? The cat operators to use when they take a break? Who knows?

Oh the things you see when you're out and about - and paying attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment