Search This Blog

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Love's Paradise



I haven't given up hope of identifying the "mystery picture" we found in Mom's closet after she died. But I may have another idea where/how to search for it.
Yesterday I got curious about another picture I have of hers. It took a little while but I was finally able to locate information including the title about.......


                                                  ....... Love's Paradise

I found it advertised on ebay as a 1925 Art Deco print by artist, illustrator R. Atkinson Fox. It is exactly like the one hanging on my wall with the exception of a slightly different, but still original, frame.
In the lower left corner is "Copyright 1925, Borin, Chicago". In the right corner: "Fox-Urgelles". The asking price is $225.00, although I found several other sites with prices from $79.00 to $310.00. And no, the one I have is not for sale. I believe it was a wedding gift to my parents and I hope it stays in the family. My eldest granddaughter has already said she would like to have it.

Robert Atkinson Fox, a Canadian who began as a portraitist, was also noted for his bucolic paintings. From the early 1900's to the 1930's, he was a prolific commercial illustrator commissioned by major calendar and art print companies. And this is what has given me the idea of looking for my mystery painting under illustrators rather than artists. Maybe I'll get lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment