Saturday, October 11, 2014

On The Oregon Trail - Part II

Day one saw us leaving Iowa, crossing Nebraska and then Wyoming. About a half hour after a gas and lunch stop in Evanston, WY, we reached the 'real' Oregon Trail - the Y where I-80 splits and goes South toward Salt Lake City and I-84 turns North toward Idaho and west into Oregon.
The second day was also the longest. Six hundred miles would get us to Twin Falls, ID, but when looking ahead for a hotel, I wasn't too keen on any of the ones there. By going a little further down the road to Jerome, ID, I found the Best Western Sawtooth Inn and Suites. The online pictures looked good. The reviews were good. The price was right. It was booked.

The difference in price between this hotel and the 'bargain' one of the night before was around ten dollars. The difference in the hotels was like night and day. This is a picture I took of the lobby. The hotel staff was truly welcoming - friendly, helpful, professional. The room was clean, comfortable and attractive. The pool and hot tub, perfect after a long two days of driving.

This is a photo of the gorgeous live edge slab comprising the reception desk. It was so pretty. I should have taken the picture from a different angle to show it off properly.

And I love hotels that have the free libraries. Some operate on a take and leave policy - you take a book you haven't read and leave one you've finished while traveling. This is the most extensive travel library I've seen - they even had magazines and books for children.
If you are traveling to or through Idaho I highly recommend this hotel - The Best Western Sawtooth Inn and Suites in Jerome - as an overnight (or longer) stay. The only regret I have about staying here is that I didn't see the made-to-order omelets at the free breakfast the next morning until after I had already filled my plate with other selections. If we hadn't taken a different route home I would have booked another stay here.

Oh, yes, Sally's thrown shoe - I had noticed a noise coming from the left front wheel area of the car during my afternoon driving stint. Bud thought it was just the plastic undercarriage cover protecting the engine compartment. He had wired it up when it came loose once before. He tried fixing it again but when we made a quick trip to the Walmart just down the street the noise was even worse. Wish I had taken pictures of this - but - while I went into the store, my "he can fix anything" husband took the wheel off Sally and determined it was the brake pad making the noise. He applied some wheel grease (?) which did help for many miles before it started making noise again the next day. End of story: Sally got a brake job while we were at Kari's in Portland.
I'm sure the pioneers would have merely fashioned a new shoe for their trusty steed.

No comments:

Post a Comment