Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Life Goes On

Yes, life goes on, though this year it feels like "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Winter Goes On!" I do hope having a long, cold, snowy winter presages an early, warm, lovely Spring. I for one am ready for it.

The snow and cold have only contributed to my usual problem with SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Thankfully the longer days are beginning to help. It has always been hard for me to pull myself out of the depression I feel. This winter I have mainly just lost myself in whatever book I'm reading and let the days go by, waiting.

Other contributions to my depressive state have been the increased pain in my arthritic knees - to the point I was ready to call my ortho surgeon and schedule knee replacement surgery a couple weeks ago - and the less than satisfactory results of last fall's cataract surgery. Well, that's not quite right - the cataract was successfully removed - it was developing Cystoid Macular Edema after the surgery that has me bummed. A month of eye-drops therapy did help some, but learning that there would be no further improvement was disconcerting. One of these days I'm going to blog about "The Left Side of My Body".

That New Year's post I did about writing a daily affirmation/statement of gratitude did not last long, lost to the onset of negative feelings. But my daughter's lovely Bookish Dark post, "Gratitude", yesterday was just what I needed to remind me I have much to be grateful for:  http://www.bookishdark.com/ Spring is on its way! - At least in Oregon.

The weather finally moderated enough last week that I got back to exercising at the Y and also visited a new friend in her assisted living apartment. Maxine is such a joy to talk with - a woman who has seen her own share of life's travails, yet stays engaged in living. Just spending an afternoon with her made me feel so much more positive about my own life.

Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, Life does go on. Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment