Search This Blog

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Best Seat In The House

The temperature was around 45 degrees when I got up this morning. It was still dark out, the full moon had not yet set - the Harvest Moon was still shining on. I thought about all the people who were in town for the annual hot air balloon races. It was going to be chilly, but they shouldn't have any problems as the air was almost perfectly still. "Too bad we won't get to see them," I thought. "What light wind there is will send them southeast." The airport where most of the activities take place is south of town. I assumed they would take off from there. As it got light out I went out and looked off to the south to see if I could spot even one balloon. Nope.
I was in the computer room kicking around some blog ideas since I hadn't posted anything for quite awhile when I glanced out my window on the world and saw this:


Of course I grabbed my camera and headed out onto our deck. I was so happy to think I was going to see at least one hot air balloon this year. Then I looked off to the northwest and saw:


Yea! We were going to get to see the balloons after all - and right from our deck. After the first few went over, there was another wave of them.


I thought it was so cool that the moon was still visible and the balloons were floating right up there with it. Obviously the participants had gone northwest of town somewhere to lift off.


I really like it when I can capture objects reflected in the pond - especially with the beautiful colors of fall.


This one stayed so low over behind the railroad tracks and trees that I thought it was never going to come over us. I had to wait quite awhile to get this perfect reflection.


But you can see I was right about it having problems - it came down in the field and never lifted back up. Three years ago one just barely cleared our house before coming down.


Some were close enough and low enough you could see the flames as well as hearing the whoosh, whoosh as the pilots controlled the altitudes.



No question the balloons were flying over Creston. I'm not that fond of the colors on this one, but I did like the leopard looking at me.


All in all, it was the best seat in the house - well, almost in the house. We've watched fireworks, tornadoes and balloons from our deck. I prefer the hot air balloons. Those Montgolfier Brothers had a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment