Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012

Treason At Lisson Grove


As I remarked in my July 26 post after reading Anne Perry's latest Thomas & Charlotte Pitt novel, I planned to read the one immediately preceding it (#26 in the series) before going back to the beginning of the series to read them in order.
Treason At Lisson Grove has Thomas going off in mad pursuit of a killer, following him to France in the company of another Special Branch officer. Too late, he realizes it was all a plot to get him out of London and away from his supervisor, the head of Special Branch, Victor Narraway.
In the meantime, Narraway is accused of embezzling government funds and removed from his office. He goes to Ireland to try and find out who set him up and why, but without Pitt to go along with him, Narraway asks Pitt's clever wife, Charlotte, to accompany him to Dublin and help in the investigation.
I have warmed to the characters of Thomas and Charlotte but more especially to Charlotte's Great Aunt, Lady Vespasia Cumming-Gould. If our library has them all, I have twenty-five more Anne Perry's to read my way through.


Last week a friend of mine told me she is reading her way through Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak series. As a rule, anything she likes to read, I like, and as I am always on the look-out for a new author, I told her I would give Stabenow a try and we could discuss her when she (my friend) comes to visit us this week.
A Fatal Flaw is the second in this series, set in Alaska. From the back cover of the book: "Once Kate Shugak was the star investigator of the Anchorage District Attorney's office. Now she's gone back to her Aleut roots in the far Alaska north - where her talent for detection makes her the toughest crime-tracker in that stark and mysterious land.
On the first day of spring a man went berserk, killing eight of his neighbors. Only there were nine bodies lying in the snow. The last victim was a golden blonde with a tarnished past - and her killer was still at large. It's up to Kate and her husky, Mutt, to track down the suspects - before the murderer melts back into the snowscape. But the guilty party could be anyone, because in the Alaskan spring, old hatreds warm up quickly."
As soon as I began reading this book, I thought, "This really sounds familiar, but I know I haven't read the book before - more like something I saw on television". With Bud's help, we finally figured out that the book (written in 1993) was based on the real life of Michael Alan Silka the sniper who killed nine people near the small town of Manley Hot Springs, AK in 1984. The opening of the book was almost exactly like what we had watched on The History Channel, but from there on, it was the author's account of how Kate Shugak figured out who killed the ninth victim and then tracked the killer down.
I did like this protagonist and like reading about Alaska - at one time in my life, I thought I would like to live there. I have the next book in the series ready to read. It looks like there are nineteen so far. I will read all our library has.


My son, Preston, thought Kate White's book, Hush, looked like something I would enjoy reading so he got it for me. At first, I didn't think I was going to like it - more to do with the writing style than the story line - but that was just the first few pages. By the time I got that far in, I was hooked on Lake Warren's life. She is in a legal battle with her husband, Jack, for custody of their two kids, so when one of the doctors at the fertility clinic she is preparing a marketing program for is killed after she has spent the night with him in his apartment, the last thing she wants is to give her husband ammunition to win custody by becoming the prime suspect in a murder. So, she lies to the police. When Lake begins receiving threatening phone calls and worse, she can't go to the police - they might discover she had lied about being in the Dr's apartment.
This really was a well written mystery. Several times I was sure I had it figured out, but it wasn't until the very end I was pretty certain I knew who the murderer was - though not why.
Kate White is the editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan as well as the author of the Bailey Weggins mystery novels. Our library has most of that series. I think I'll give them a try. They also have Hush but without my son giving it to me, I might never have read this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment