Search This Blog

Thursday, May 3, 2012

If The Wind Is Right, You Can Sail Away


Today is the 61st birthday of Christopher Cross (Christopher Charles Geppert). No, he is not a relative of mine, nor have I ever met him, but I am a fan of his music. His debut album, Christopher Cross, won five Grammy awards in 1981 including Best Album, Best New Artist and Best Song; Sailing.
Other songs of his that I remember from the 80's were Ride Like the Wind, Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do) which won the 1981 Oscar for Best Original Song, and Think of Laura. 
If you watched the soap opera, General Hospital, you will remember how popular Think of Laura became as a theme for Luke as he was thinking about Laura who had been missing for several months.


My oldest son, Douglas Sumner Botkin, went to Michigan a few summers ago to take classes and learn to sail. His dream is to retire on a sailboat. Dougie will celebrate his 50th birthday this summer. I think the words to Sailing fit him perfectly:

                        Sailing

"It's not far down to paradise, at least it's not for me.
And if the wind is right you can sail away and find tranquility.
The canvas can do miracles, just you wait and see.
Believe me.

It's not far to never never land, no reason to pretend.
And if the wind is right you can find the joy of innocence again.
The canvas can do miracles, just you wait and see.
Believe me.

Sailing takes me away to where I've always heard it could be.
Just a dream and the wind to carry me and soon I will be free.

Fantasy. It gets the best of me when I'm sailing, all caught up in the reverie.
Every word is a symphony. Won't you believe me?

It's not far back to sanity. At least it's not for me.
And when the wind is right you can sail away and find tranquility.

The canvas can do miracles, just you wait and see.
Believe me."


This one's for you Duggan!

No comments:

Post a Comment