Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Peplums Are Making a Comeback

 "Peplum, a short overskirt or ruffle made popular in the 1940's, is making a comeback. While the idea of adding extra fabric at your hips may seem unappealing, the flounce actually helps slenderize your waist and create a feminine shape." When I read that on my home page yesterday, I immediately thought of my Mother's black crepe dress with a peplum. I'm sure it dated from the 1940's.


The black dress Mom has on in this picture from December, 1965, isn't that dress. I don't know if Les and Mom and Dad were attending a funeral, but that is my guess. (That's about the only  time my Dad wore a suit.) I'm also speculating that her black peplum dress may have been one she purchased to wear to funerals - perhaps her Grandfather or Grandmother Means or to her father-in-law, George's - they all died during the '40's.

I do not remember ever seeing Mom wear the dress, but I do remember her showing it to me and telling me the extra material below the waist was called a peplum. I thought that was such a funny word. I could tell the dress was one she considered special. And even though she never wore it, she would never let Betty and me use it when we were playing dress up.
Maybe it was like some of the clothes I have hanging in my closet - something she always thought she would get back into some day. I wish I had asked her why she kept it - what meaning it held for her.

If you asked me if I ever had a dress or jacket with a peplum, I would say, "No, that's just not my style." But that is because I think of them being like the ones on this suit pattern or the dress at the top of the page.


I would never have thought about the JH Collectibles jacket I bought at Goodwill for $3.00 as having a peplum, though technically it does. A peplum is a short overskirt attached to a fitted jacket. Often the peplum was flared, suggesting a greater curve to the hips, (not something I need) typically worn with a skirt that also flared. In other styles, the peplum fits closely to the stomach and hips leaving the emphasis on the tight waist and are worn with straight skirts - or with slacks as I wear mine.

One of my spring cleaning projects is to clean out my closet. I'm going to donate all those clothes I don't wear - the ones I thought I'd get back into someday - even ones I've kept because they were once favourites of mine. But I'll still keep a few items that have special meaning even if I never wear them again - just as Mom kept her black crepe dress with the peplum.

No comments:

Post a Comment