Search This Blog

Friday, February 17, 2012

Saint Fintan of Clonehagh and Paris Hilton

Today is the Feast Day of Saint Fintan of Clonehagh as well as Paris Hilton's thirty-first birthday - not that I care much about her or her birthday - I just thought the juxtaposition of the two was a catchy title. I do find reading about Saint Fintan of Clonehagh much more interesting. Had I known about him before my trip to Ireland, I would have visited the remains of his church when I went through Portlaoise, County Laois.
Today is also the birthday of some other famous people I do like - actor Hal Holbrook (1925), actress Patricia Routledge (Hyacinth Bucket [pronounced Bouquet]) (1929), author Ruth Rendell (1930), actress Rene Russo (whose birth date, February, 1954, seems familiar) and Canadian singer/songwriter/musician, Loreena McKennitt (1957).

It is also the birthday of an old friend and high school classmate, Bill Arbuckle. This photo of him was taken last September at our 50th class reunion banquet. To me, it doesn't seem like Bill has changed very much. He is still the youngster I first met at my Grandmother Lynam's home on the west edge of Corning in 1956. Bill's Dad, Ikey, rented the pasture from Grandma and kept a milk cow or two there. When I stayed with Grandma in the summer, Bill came with his father to do the chores and we got acquainted. I always said he was my first coke date because one afternoon we walked downtown and he bought me a nickel coca cola at the McClelland Drug Store soda fountain. I remember passing some kids he knew on the way and them teasing him about his 'girl friend'. "She's not my girlfriend", he said turning red, "she's my cousin." If I had even a thought that he might become my boyfriend, his remark killed any such ideas right there. But we became friends that summer and have remained so since.
When I was a senior in high school and had pneumonia, Bill came to visit me in the hospital. He brought along his chess set and challenged me to a game. I was a pretty good player, though not as good as he was. He came out to see me and play chess a couple of times and it really helped pass those long hours.

 To this day, whenever he sees me, he makes a comment about the cars coming along the highway in front of Grandma's place. At that time Highway 34 went through Corning and past the acreage where Grandma lived. If we got bored, she made up games for us. One of them was to sit on the porch and choose a certain color or make of car. Then we had to count the cars that matched what we had chosen. Whoever had the most cars at the end of the agreed upon time was the winner. I remember playing that game with my siblings and cousins as well as with Grandma and Bill. That's her porch in the background of this picture of Ron & me. (Summer of '45?)

Today is also the birthday - the birthday I always think of first on this date - of my younger brother, Les. He was born under a full moon February 17, 1954. (Him and Rene Russo - though she wasn't born in Creston, IA.)
This picture of Les and our sister, Betty, was taken on his 13th birthday. I hosted a party for him when I was living in the Odell house west of Brooks. Betty helped with the decorations and games. I think it was her idea for this one - a life saver tied to a string. The point was to see who could get to the life saver first. I suppose for some 13-year-olds this must have seemed like a flirtatious game.
I think Les had a good time that night. I know Betty and I had fun. And I hope Bill & Les both are having fun on their birthdays today.

No comments:

Post a Comment